Breakfast burritos are glorious – and LA has almost too many of them. Someone has to sacrifice their health for the incredibly important Breakfast Burrito Quest, so once again, I’ve sorted the great ones from not-as-great ones (because, let’s be honest, all breakfast burritos are pretty good). You’re welcome.
Here are my obvious and inarguable criteria for the perfect breakfast burrito:
- It needs to taste breakfast-y, which means eggs. A top tier breakfast burrito can’t taste like lunch – that would be anarchy.
- It needs proper ingredient distribution. The first bite is crucial – don’t give me a mouthful of just beans or guac.
- The corollary to this rule is that the flavors need to work in harmony. Seventeen separate tastes is equally disqualifying.
- The texture should have a little variation. Hashbrowns, bacon, something to give it a little crunch. Which leads to…
- The tortilla shouldn’t be an afterthought. My favorites have usually taken a trip back to the griddle for crunch and heat. Ideally, I’m losing my fingerprints trying to hold it. And unlike most breakfast options, a breakfast burrito gets better with a slight delay (looking at you, breakfast sandwich)
- It shouldn’t cost too much. I have loved breakfast burritos that are over ten bucks – but deep down, I judge them for not being egalitarian. Breakfast burritos should be for everyone.
- Finally, it needs to be a guilty pleasure. You can’t eat an entire breakfast burrito and feel like you made a good decision for your body. (Although one time, a trainer told me that the best time to eat something unhealthy is early in the morning, so #healthychoices. Enjoy one of these carb/calorie bombs for breakfast and sacrifice on later meals. It’s worth it!)
I’ve really tried to find my favorite in the city, or at least a top three, but it’s too hard… there are too many good choices.
Here’s my list of the best breakfast burritos in LA broken down into Gold, Silver, and Bronze categories:
Continue reading “These are the best breakfast burritos in LA”