I never feel more badass than when I board a plane with only a carry-on, then get off and walk straight to the pickup curb. That’s right, I just used a plane as a freaking taxi, yo! And it’s because I’m pretty good at packing light.
My top tricks for packing light include:
- A simple color palette (mine is always black and grey)
- High-end athleisure wear (Athleta is my go-to for comfort and style)
- Comfortable walking shoes that can also look dressy (I’ll get to that later)
- Wearing the bulkiest items on the plane (coats, extra layers, bigger shoes, etc)
We just flew from Atlanta to Sacramento for the weekend, and I managed to pack everything I needed (including some of Mike’s clothes) into one backpack. Here’s what I packed for my trip with one carry on…
All the clothes I packed for the weekend:
- Two pairs of black leggings. I recommend these from Lululemon, they’re comfortable so you can travel and walk a lot in them, but they also can be easily dressed up for going out at night. I also wore a pair of fleece-lined leggings on the plane.
- Two plain tank tops like these from Target in black and grey)
- One nice top. I brought a black turtle neck like this one because it was cold at night.
- One sweatshirt. I brought this one from Athleta
- One pair of fashionable sneakers. I live in these Dr Scholl’s slip-ons in black lizard print, they can be super-comfortable to walk around in and they look nice enough to dress up.
- Two pairs of socks. These are PERFECT for the Dr Scholl’s slip-ons — they stay on your heel and they’re low-cut, so you can’t see them)
- One pair of leg warmers. I love leg warmers because you can easily take them off if it gets hot during the day — these are what I’m wearing in the photo.
- One scarf.
- Two pairs of travel-friendly underwear that you can easily wash in the sink and dry overnight. I love these.
- One large coat. The Gramercy coat from Nation LTD is what I’m wearing in the photo.
- One light rain jacket (there was a chance of rain in the forecast). I brought the Everyday Getaway jacket from Lululemon.
- One purse — I love me the Foley + Corinna Mid City Tote
- Cell phone
- Laptop — the new 12″ MacBook is tiny, light, and a traveler blogger’s best friend!
- Chargers: laptop, cell phone, Apple Watch, Fitbit
- One book on Machu Picchu
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, tinted moisturizer, mascara, make-up wipes
What do YOU pack for a weekend trip with one carry on? Any tips and tricks I’m missing?